Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rock City Eatery, part III

I did not imagine that being a food critic would be even close to what we commonly call work. I was wrong. I thought the task of reviewing a restaurant would consist of eating and saying whether or not it is good. It is actually way more complex than that. The work of a food critic requires a perpetual attention to details with a fast and lively mind (and hands !) The waiter dropped a plate on a customer ? Note taking. The restaurant setting is unusual ? Note taking. The seats are uncomfortable ? Note taking. The biggest difficulty is to get a global understanding of the place and its customers within the less time possible, which means being careful about the menu while not eating all of it, looking at the others' plates while tasting your own, tasting the alcohol while staying sober enough to write about it and so on. I found out that being a food critic is not as easy as one might think.
About the place, I had very low expectations (barflies, dirty restrooms) and could not but be positively surprised, which is exactly what happened when I entered this popular restaurant.

Since I did not see any coherence in the Rock City Eatery -regarding either the menu or the decor- I would hardly consider the restaurant unauthentic: since the place does not claim any belonging (of origin or of quality), it cannot be but authentic for its uniqueness. When there is no norm to rely on, there is no risk of overstepping them. As for the question of tourism (is dining in a restaurant a kind of tourism?), I would say that it depends on the restaurant. As long as the restaurant allows the customer to experience otherness -foreign food restaurants in particular-, it can be seem as tourism. However, if tourism is, as Long's suggested, getting out of your daily routine to see the other's daily routine as very exotic, dining in a restaurant could be seen as tourism only insofar eating out is an unusual practice. Eating out, when it is part of your daily routine, is not properly tourism for me.


As an international student in Kalamazoo, all my experiences here have first felt foreign to me. The ice in the water, the A/C or the tips have been some of the most exotic things I encountered when I arrived in America. But people change and so I did. I can say that I start now, after 9 months of immersion in this culture, to feel a belonging and a familiarity regarding American food. I am crazy about peanut butter/jelly sandwiches and bacon-based brunch on a Sunday morning. Tourism (or the lack of) has to do with time. It also has to do with home. What is home cannot be tourism. The home I found here prevents me today to consider myself as a tourist in America. However, I do not feel fully integrated yet. I guess, it is the perks and the drawbacks of biculturalism.

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection on your experience Marie - I too was surprised at how much work it is to review a restaurant. It's overwhelming when you're there for the purpose of gathering as much relevant information and sensory detail as possible. It took me ten minutes to even glance at the menu and I was, of course, the last to order. You mention many of the challenges you experienced in writing your review, but I have to say, I think you did an really fantastic job capturing the 'culture' of the Rock City Eatery.
    I like your idea that once a place starts to feel like home, one is no longer a tourist. This seems like a good feeling-based, flexible way to identify when one moves beyond being a tourist in a place.

    ReplyDelete