Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The perfect meal

Cooking the perfect meal is such a big challenge. First, because perfection does not exist in our human world ; second, because high expectations always lead to disappointment.
For this reason, I expected to be disappointed of my perfect meal. Oddly enough, I wasn't.
My first demand was to cook for my significant other and no one else. This was our last dinner together before my return to France so I did not care about the food; I just wanted the moment to be unforgettable.
For this special occasion, I wanted to plan and prepare the dinner in duet: nothing should have been made without our 4 hands touching it. The initial menu, which we eventually did not follow, was :

  • a 'tomato tornado', the speciality of my boyfriend: a tomato soup/stew enlivened with chopped vegetables and spices
  • toasts of home made pesto and sardines
  • roasted scallops with a white wine sauce
  • a purée of potatoes and celery
  • steamed leeks
  • fava beans
  • asparagus
  • tiramisu
  • wine

Of course, this was a too ambitious menu, especially if you don't have a car to go to the supermarket. The afternoon before our dinner, nothing was ready and my lover was at work. I had to revise downwards the menu and dropped the soup (I did not know how to prepare it), the toasts (the pesto would have taken too long to be made), the purée (the day was too hot to eat warm starches) and the tiramisu (I made one the day before for a family dinner.)
Driven by my boyfriend's roommate to Whole Foods, I carefully chose most of the produces I wanted. To have my cart full of fruits and vegetables made me feel healthy and satisfied.
I decided, seduced by the fresh figs and the fennel, to change even more my plans: instead of the asparagus and the fava, I would reuse Katherine's recipe to make a fennel-apple-raisin salad. I added pecans and improvised completely for the sauce (olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup.) Nothing was more pleasant for me than improvisation.
As for the dessert, I wanted something efficient: good and simple. The figs, roasted with butter, on a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be a great deal. Sold !
Back home, I started the marinade for the scallops: garlic, fennel, salt, pepper, olive oil and white wine. I also prepared beforehand the steamed leeks, cut in little squares, and chopped the vegetables and fruits for the salad. And that was it. Barely more than half an hour. I would have to do later the dessert and the white wine sauce with the scallops.
This was actually my biggest fear: the main course of the meal was something I never cooked before. The scallop is a very delicate see food and with a bit too much heat, it turns chewy and bland. Moreover, wine sauces are easy to fail and I never saw anyone make it, neither in front of me nor at TV. I just knew that it exists and that it is something big in French food culture.
After getting ready myself, it was time to open the bottle of wine and wait for my guest, who was charged to buy lemon and cream. I could not find the bottle opener and the cream has been forgotten. After finding back the former, drinking a glass of wine and smoking a cigaret, my boyfriend left to go to the supermarket: the cream was essential for our dinner and could not be avoided. I made the sauce for the salad, turned on the oven for the scallops and started the wine sauce, with vinegar and white wine in a pan. 30 minutes later, my guest arrived, sweating and annoyed: after going to 3 different stores (the 2 first were closed), my significant other finally found the cream. Plus a baguette, some cheese and a tomato as an appetizer. He gave me bites of toasts while I was cooking: nothing could have been more encouraging.
I continued my sauce. While following the steps on the first online recipe I found, I was puzzled to learn that the sauce required 170g of butter (6oz, if my conversion is right). It was absolutely out of question to do that: sickness guarantied. So I added a certain amount of fat until I decided it was already really too much. I tasted: it was actually good. No secret but the butter... Without keeping an eye on the watch, I put the scallops in the oven and put them out around 5 minutes later, when the table was set. We filled our plates with a bit of everything: the leeks -still warm- and the scallops (5 each) topped by the wine sauce and the salad. The dinner was ready.
The first bite of scallop was amazing: it was PERFECTLY cooked, their flesh being savory and delicate. In spite of my nonchalance and taste for improvisation, I could not have made them better. And even if I wanted, I would not know how: this culinary success was a pure random.
The association with the sauce was very fortunate as well, the leeks were melting in the mouth and the salad, refreshing and just acid enough to balance the butter in the sauce.
“Marie, this dinner is perfect” did I hear several times. But it was not over yet and the dessert, while not very risky (everybody likes ice cream), could still ruin the dinner. After washing together the dishes, I peeled the figs, made the butter (again!) melt in the pan and threw the fruits in it. At that point, I was already tipsy and did not care any more about being a careful cook: this was just messy. But delicious. Even though the maple syrup I added in the pan was not necessary, the dessert was up to the rest of the meal.

However, this dinner, as perfect as it was for us, was only the trigger of a much more perfect evening spent together, driving in the deserted streets of Detroit, stopping eventually at the place of our first kiss. Then, I realized something: food is not an end in itself, it opens up to much more. I would say so about travel and in particular about my stay in America: it is not the end, it is only the beginning.

7 comments:

  1. Marie, this was so enjoyable to read! I loved the sweet moments shared between you and your boyfriend, thank you for sharing them with us. I liked the way in which you were completely transparent with the reader, allowing them to know all the limitations of your meal, and the reasons in which you left certain foods out. I am specifically talking about the section after the bullets in which you use all the parentheses. I definitely felt like I could picture this scene taking place, and felt a bit of a contrast between when you were first preparing the meal so carefully and when you were tipsy and just getting it done, but maybe this contrast could be played up a bit more. I think that you could really use character in this piece to make it even more exciting to read. Perhaps a physical description of your boyfriend and just a little more about him in general. Maybe more interactions between the two of you? The one with him feeding you toast gave me a small sense of your relationship, but because the piece is so centered around the two of you and your relationship, I'd like a better sense of how you interact and are around one another. A name for him might help too, but I don't think that is necessary. I also felt as if there were a lot of themes going on in this piece: that you love to improvise while cooking (a few more examples of this could help, maybe try going back in time to tell a previous story), that there is no such thing as perfection and we must leave room for disappointments, the relationship between you and your boyfriend, food opens the door to much more, and your stay in America (at the end). I think that it would be best to pick one or two of these and really elaborate on it or them. There are so many great things being said in this piece, but I think it may be a little overwhelming to have so many broad ideas without many explanations or details or details of those broad ideas. And you do details so beautifully! In class on Tuesday, we talked about how this should be written to a broader audience (not just our class). Because of that, I think it is important to talk about why/how long you were in America and where this specific scene takes place. Also, an explanation on who Katherine is. The writing in this is beautiful. I love your sentence structures and how well your voice comes through. Nice job! Hope you are enjoying time back in France with your family. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie! Good job with this piece! Your food descriptions are very vivid and enticing; I wanted to try those scallops so bad! I think your motivation for this meal, it being the last one is a very strong one for the perfect meal but I think it needs to come out a bit more. As this piece stands, it is a very interesting retelling of what sounds like a very delicious meal. I think it could be even better if you added some more depth to it by really playing up the romance. Are you going to stay with him when you go back to France? Was this dinner also a final goodbye? You could add the sadness you felt to it. Or maybe you didn't feel sad, maybe it was such a nice way to say goodbye you were both happy. Either way I want to see more of it. I love how you said "nothing should have been made without our 4 hands touching it." This was set up in the beginning but I didn't really see it at play in your piece too much. I want to know more about your boyfriend as a character. What were some of the things he said? What did you talk about? Did he appreciate the meal? I think the last part about Detroit was a little random for me, it is nice that you had this moment together but I am not sure it pertains to this meal. So this is a very good piece so far but I think if you added those more thematic elements it would be even better. Also, address this to a broader audience. When you mention Katherine, no one reading this who wasn't in our class would know who that is. Treat this like an article you could find in a major newspaper. I hope you are safely landed in France, enjoying life with your friends and family! We miss you already. Hopefully I will see you next year when I study abroad in Clermont! Au Revoir, tu me manques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece Marie! I feel I get a better sense of your personality through the way you describe you cooking here, and I love it :)
    I would like to hear a little bit more about why you chose the recipes you chose. What makes a meal 'perfect' for you. Specifically the scallops - was this something you had always wanted to make but never had? I get the sense that you had a lot of prior experience eating scallops and maybe hadn't cooked them before, but knew that it would be a challenge to cook them perfectly. Maybe a bit more on that subject if there's a, interesting history or background there.
    I also wanted more of a sense of where you were cooking this meal. It was at your significant other's house? Apartment? You mention his roommate - was he there while you were cooking?
    This piece is so much about sharing a special last meal with your boyfriend, and
    I'd love to get a better sense of who he is. More dialogue and a physical description might be helpful. What were you feeling while enjoying the dinner together? How did he respond, more specific that the compliments he gave you?
    I'm sad that I won't get to hear more about this experience from you in class! I hope you've had a safe trip home and are having many joyful reunions with family and friends. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie.
    This is such a beautiful cooking for someone you endear. I love it so much! But, I think you can pull off more conversation during the meal and more romantic atmosphere since that's what you shared at dinner with your boyfriend. Also, food description is good, but you can develop more for readers to see, touch, and smell rather than just taste. Your cooking description is nice and detailed. Good job :)! I hope you are doing well in France!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie,
    You took what could have been a very sad event and turned it into a memory both of you will cherish. Like Katherine, I'm curious to find out why your perfect meal included foods you've never cooked before. On Tuesday, Marin talked about imagining as if you were writing for a magazine. I think that could help you with the tone of the piece, and how to structure it. Some other notes from her that I think are helpful are: Why does the meal matter? What did you learn that you want to share with a larger audience? Set up a tension to be resolved etc. Those kinds of thoughts helped me with my piece, and probably yours too. I also loved your talk of the struggle of finding the foods you wanted, and how dessert was a tipsy affair ;) Maybe go deeper on a emotional level. What did your partner feel? Is he going to France to visit you? This piece didn't feel like an ending to me, just a different type of beginning. One nit picky thing, you said "see food', it should be sea food. If you catch those small mistakes, I think you'll be on your way to a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie,
    I want this meal! The fig compote and ice cream sound amazing! Here are my comments:
    1. I like how you wrapped things up in the end :)
    2. Where is this? I wasn't sure if you were still in Kalamazoo or somewhere else?
    3. We talked in class about WHO we are directing our pieces to, and it seems that you are still directing this to our class (with the mention of Katherine's salad recipe). Our audience is not only our class, but maybe think of this as a piece in a magazine, where the audience does not know of our assignment.
    4. Nice descriptions of the food and food preparation - yay :)
    5. I liked your ending, but I kind of wanted a little more! you kind of sum it all up in the last paragraph, but I want more of how the two of you TOGETHER enjoyed this meal!

    Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie! This is such a beautiful and enjoyable piece! I'm really glad that you had a great meal with your boyfriend as the last meal in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I think you did a great job of offering vivid images of food and the process of preparation. As all the others said, I would love to try the scallops with your recipe.
    I think you can develop the character of your boyfriend in this piece. As much as you appreciated his presence, I think you can incorporate that by including the conversation with him, or even with physical description of him. I really liked the ending part when you mentioned the place of first kiss. I would like to see more of your reflection on the past memory.
    Also, I think you can give some background information about who you are or about the situation in details for larger audience. Certainly, as a classmate, who spent a quarter together, I know that you are from France and you came to Kalamazoo for study abroad, but not all of those who enter this blog will know that. And I think this can be done in a very simple way.
    The last thing is I want more of your reflection after eating. And details during the eating, such as the conversation with your boyfriend will be nice.

    Great job! I really enjoyed this piece and it was such a pleasure to read your writings and share your thoughts in the class throughout this quarter. I will miss you :)

    ReplyDelete